Coming of Age Day (成人式)


A happy new year 2009!

Tokyo had first snow last week. It's really tough season for me...

I'd like to stay inside in this cold weather, but not today.


Go out on the second Monday of January, this is special day you can see most many Kimono ladies in the town.

In Japanese culture, when you become 20yeas old, you are officially adult.

The second Monday of Jan. is a national holiday called Coming-of-Age day in Japan.
(It used to be Jan.15 till 2002)

All 20years old people attend ceremony wearing Kimono on that day.

I was in Shibuya today, and I could see many beautiful Kimono happy ladies.

Don't miss free Japanese Kimono fashion street show in 2010!













Comments

Diana said…
Hello there,
Just found your blog. :) I live in the US and plan to visit Japan some day. Your entries are very useful. It's definitely helpful to have insider information. When and where does the free kimono fashion street show take place in 2010?
Keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.
Diana said…
haha, me again.
nvm about my question. the answer is right there in your blog. sorry I just realized it. :P
Miyo said…
Hi Dianna,

Thanks for your comment, it's great you are planning to come to Japan.

Are you planning in Jan?

Celebrating New years day here could be nice idea cause you can see more traditional thing or event.

Hope you can make it soon!

Popular Posts